profile evaluation

Hello Puys,i am interested for MBA and am also open to colleges in india and abroad but i do not know where to begin. what i would like is, a bench mark, if someone could evaluate my academic profile and tell me which are the probable schools in…

Hello Puys,

i am interested for MBA and am also open to colleges in india and abroad but i do not know where to begin. what i would like is, a bench mark, if someone could evaluate my academic profile and tell me which are the probable schools in india and abroad which i could consider as my safety schools, then i could start my preps with that in mind.

My acad stats:
10th-93%
12th-69.8%
Btech.-7.09
work ex.-1 year(as of july 13) as software developer in Capgemini India pvt.ltd.

p.s. this is my first post in PG so i am not very acquainted with the norms so if there is any mistake or if any more elaboration is needed kindly ask me..i will reply promptly. looking forward to someone helping me out in this.

@amreshmohapatra

Hello Puys,

i am interested for MBA and am also open to colleges in india and abroad but i do not know where to begin. what i would like is, a bench mark, if someone could evaluate my academic profile and tell me which are the probable schools in india and abroad which i could consider as my safety schools, then i could start my preps with that in mind.

My acad stats:

10th-93%

12th-69.8%

Btech.-7.09

work ex.-1 year(as of july 13) as software developer in Capgemini India pvt.ltd.

p.s. this is my first post in PG so i am not very acquainted with the norms so if there is any mistake or if any more elaboration is needed kindly ask me..i will reply promptly. looking forward to someone helping me out in this.

Hi Amresh,

As your work experience is on lower side, I would suggest you to wait for another year and target 2015 intake. While writing application essays, you need to mention about headship qualities and achievements in or outside work place. If you are able to showcase these attributes in your application then you stand a chance in b-school.

Let me know in case of other queries you might have.

Regards

--

Maya

@reachmaya

Hi Amresh,

As your work experience is on lower side, I would suggest you to wait for another year and target 2015 intake. While writing application essays, you need to mention about headship qualities and achievements in or outside work place. If you are able to showcase these attributes in your application then you stand a chance in b-school.

Let me know in case of other queries you might have.

Regards

--

Maya

hello reachmaya,

thank you very much for your quick response. i know my work ex is low. i am not looking for an immediate MBA, but what i would like to know is where is stand in terms of stats...leaving apart the work ex and GMAT score which i can build upon, i am asking what are my chances of ivy league. is it even possible? i just want to know which schools(both indian and abroad) would be willing to take me in considering i get a 700+ GMAT score and have a couple more years of exp. i am open for any prestigious school be it india, canada, US, UK, europe, singapore or hong kong!

@amreshmohapatra

hello reachmaya,

thank you very much for your quick response. i know my work ex is low. i am not looking for an immediate MBA, but what i would like to know is where is stand in terms of stats...leaving apart the work ex and GMAT score which i can build upon, i am asking what are my chances of ivy league. is it even possible? i just want to know which schools(both indian and abroad) would be willing to take me in considering i get a 700+ GMAT score and have a couple more years of exp. i am open for any prestigious school be it india, canada, US, UK, europe, singapore or hong kong!

Hi Amresh,

Chances in b-school will depend on your application essays and interviews. I have noticed in the past that the b-schools have accepted a low GMAT with strong application & well presented essays and rejected high scores with poor/avg. essays.

With 700+ GMAT, you can target top 30 FT ranking b-schools.

Hope I am able to answer your queries.

Regards

--

Maya

@reachmaya

Hi Amresh,

Chances in b-school will depend on your application essays and interviews. I have noticed in the past that the b-schools have accepted a low GMAT with strong application & well presented essays and rejected high scores with poor/avg. essays.

With 700+ GMAT, you can target top 30 FT ranking b-schools.

Hope I am able to answer your queries.

Regards

--

Maya

Hi Maya,

does working for an IT company affect my college application? does the brand image of a company work for you in some way?plus i have noticed in CAT, people get 99.9%ile but still don't even get a call from IIM-A just because their career throughout isn't stellar enough. is it the same for international b-schools too? what more should i do to strengthen my application? and if i prepare for CAT too what should be my approach? should i just leave the top ones?

@amreshmohapatra

Hello Puys,

My acad stats:
10th-93%
12th-69.8%
Btech.-7.09

Its highly advisable for you to work for another couple of years before you goto MBA college. Typically a work ex of more than 3 years and a high Gmat should place you well for a good school. The higher your Gmat the better it is, however the final admission decision is taken based on the overall profile.

You could also try to have some leadership roles and some exceptional performances at work in your kit bag.

Your GPA of 7.09 seems to be good, rest you need a good gmat score.

Hope this helps....😃

Hello Puys

This is my first post so doesnt knw how this forum works. My frnd told me that this is 1 of the best forum to share or gather MBA related inf, so Iam here.

I am interested in doing MBA and had been preparing for CAT for last 1 yr. Got 85 perctentile in 2012. However now Iam planning to write GMAT instead as it provides more opportunities. Please evaluate my profile and let me know your suggestions

10- 76%

12- 71%

B Tech in Civil Enginering- 7.53

Work Experience-(2 years as of July 2013) As planning engineer in Larsen & Toubro

Skills- Primavera P6, AutocAD, MSP

Extra Curricular Activities- Secretary of Annual Cultural festival(JECLAT-2011) of my college. Member of my college's students council as the Secretry of Music club.Lead guitarist of my college band (I have certificates for the same). Won many prizes in debates & mock parliament competitions.

GRE Score-313

Toefl- would be taking soon

Iam planning to apply for Fall-2014 for 1 yr MBA. Also let me know the target Gmat Score i should aim at and how can i improve my profile further.

Thanks a lot n advance

@fireinthehole

Hello Puys

This is my first post so doesnt knw how this forum works. My frnd told me that this is 1 of the best forum to share or gather MBA related inf, so Iam here.

I am interested in doing MBA and had been preparing for CAT for last 1 yr. Got 85 perctentile in 2012. However now Iam planning to write GMAT instead as it provides more opportunities. Please evaluate my profile and let me know your suggestions

Extra Curricular Activities- Secretary of Annual Cultural festival(JECLAT-2011) of my college. Member of my college's students council as the Secretry of Music club.Lead guitarist of my college band (I have certificates for the same). Won many prizes in debates & mock parliament competitions.

Iam planning to apply for Fall-2014 for 1 yr MBA. Also let me know the target Gmat Score i should aim at and how can i improve my profile further.

Aim for a 700+ score in GMAT, it will help you sail through in the competitive Indian Applicant Pool. On profile improvement you should work on:

1) Team and leadership skills, try to get into a role where a few employees report to you

2) If possible get into some client facing role

3) Start thinking about the impact of your work on business, it will help you portray yourself as a mature individual

4) Read industry reports, blogs etc. pertaining to industry which is your future career choice.

Hi, i am an MBA aspirant, with the following profile

Xth: 88,XIIth 83, Btech(2012 batch) 75.

IRDA license holder in SBI life As financial Advisor. (CErtified best newcomer, became member of DSM

club in my branch in 3 months.)

Associate Software Engineer in a Leading IT consulting firm from Jan 2013 to present.

Proprietor of a Business centre since 2008.(Basic business services like printing and logistic needs of vrious other companies, 14 employeess)

Presented two technical papers in national level conferences.(In engineering, and number theory, working on another in economics)

Gave CAT in 2011(96.53 percentile overall)

Gave SNAP(98.0 percentile overall)

Inter College and inter school Actiivites (Debate, extempore)

Poet and writer. Authoredand self published a book in 2012.(Collection of short stories)

Completed NCFM cetification courses(Banking, Equity, insurance, finance, commodities)

I m looking for Analyst jobs in the financial sector currently. And will eventually move towards my own business in consulting after an MBA.

Since i have less than 2 yrs work ex after Graduation, i was aiming for the Early entry option in ISB. Would you recommend me to apply for that?Are there any other colleges i have a chance in , thru my gmat score?(I am scoring 710~ in my mock gmat, and plan to give the gmat july this year)

Hi, Would be obliged if you could evaluate my profile and answer some questions ...

Profile summary -------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

Academics: -

GMAT 710 (Q49, V36, AWA 5.0) first try 660 - Undergrad: Vellore Institute of Technology, 2009 passout

GPA:9.34/10, B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering -

Scholarships-2007/08/09

Work Experience:

-Will be 4 years 10 months by the time of joining

-as an engineering manager at a manufacturing plant for ITC Ltd.

-Engineering Operations and Maintenance Management

Leading a team of 3 engineers and 31 technicians to manage the entire operations and maintenance of utility systems and ancillary services for a manufacturing plant

Planned and managed engineering services budget of $1M and energy budget of $2.2M.

-Energy Management

Co-ordinated the operation and maintenance of a total of 16 MW wind turbine generators.

-Led a project for IGBC Green Factory Certification for the unit: helped achieve LEED platinum rating.

Project Management

-Set up the maintenance systems of the Plant Utilities from scratch based of Integrated Facilities Management Principles

-Managed a project for supply side optimization of the unit's water supply: Liasioned with consultants and statutory bodies for a hydro-geological survey of the unit

-Identified Six Sigma and lean implementation opportunities in engineering operations and ensured timely execution.

Cross functional exposure

-Involved in a cross-factory, cross-functional job evaluation exercise along with senior management for evaluating job descriptions and roles/responsibilities for entire division's technical managers.

-Managed the HR activities for outsourced utility team: compliances with labour laws, training and development, ramp up/ramp down and attrition management.

Extra Curriculars..........

At current workplace: Secretary of Canteen Management Committee; Member of Central EHS (Safety) and Energy Conservation committees.

College: Member of Youth Red Cross Society; Fine Arts Club and Drama Club; Hostel mess management, took arts classes for underprivileged students in a local village school

Questions

1) What schools do I have a chance of getting into.....I would really be in need of a scholarship...so kindly let know the ones where I may land a scholarship as well

2) What should be my post MBA goals....was interested in consulting....the specifics and long term goals are hazy as yet...would be great if you could suggest

@ankzoutlaw

Hi, Would be obliged if you could evaluate my profile and answer some questions ...

Leading a team of 3 engineers and 31 technicians to manage the entire operations and maintenance of utility systems and ancillary services for a manufacturing plant

Planned and managed engineering services budget of $1M and energy budget of $2.2M.

Co-ordinated the operation and maintenance of a total of 16 MW wind turbine generators.

-Led a project for IGBC Green Factory Certification for the unit: helped achieve LEED platinum rating.

-Set up the maintenance systems of the Plant Utilities from scratch based of Integrated Facilities Management Principles

-Managed a project for supply side optimization of the unit's water supply: Liasioned with consultants and statutory bodies for a hydro-geological survey of the unit

-Identified Six Sigma and lean implementation opportunities in engineering operations and ensured timely execution.

-Involved in a cross-factory, cross-functional job evaluation exercise along with senior management for evaluating job descriptions and roles/responsibilities for entire division's technical managers.

-Managed the HR activities for outsourced utility team: compliances with labour laws, training and development, ramp up/ramp down and attrition management.

Extra Curriculars..........

At current workplace: Secretary of Canteen Management Committee; Member of Central EHS (Safety) and Energy Conservation committees.

College: Member of Youth Red Cross Society; Fine Arts Club and Drama Club; Hostel mess management, took arts classes for underprivileged students in a local village school

Questions

1) What schools do I have a chance of getting into.....I would really be in need of a scholarship...so kindly let know the ones where I may land a scholarship as well

2) What should be my post MBA goals....was interested in consulting....the specifics and long term goals are hazy as yet...would be great if you could suggest

Hi, I have gone through you profile, regarding your questions:
1) Very generic questions, please ask specific questions
2) Your short term goals can range anywhere from working with niche consulting firms in operations consulting such as Accenture, Deloitte (particular divisions), PRTM, Global E-Procure etc. Your long term goals can be one of many, to be a partner with a strategy and operations practice of a big consulting firm, running of your own boutique consulting firm, COO of a startup, Senior VP operations with a well established firm (last to being broad roles, which you can refine further). Start thinking on these lines.
A specific word of caution: Statements such as “Planned and managed engineering services budget of $1M and energy budget of $2.2M.” are very generic statements, please be more specific about impact of your work while you write your application essays or prepare answer-notes for your interviews.

Hi,

Could you please evaluate my profile for the top MBA programs? I am targeting for the year 2014.Thank you in advance.

Academics:

>Graduation-Bachelor in Engineering(Electronics & Communications)

> Grades - 77.69/100.> Among top 10% of the batch. (Does one need to justify this, because then I don't have any certificate mentioning this explicitly?)

> GMAT-yet to take but getting an average of 730 in all mock tests(planning to take around September 15)

> 10th(CBSE)- 93.8%(topper in Mathematics and social science)(top 10% of batch)

> 12th(CBSE)- 86.60% (top 15% of batch)

Work Ex-Duration- 3 year 8 months(all in same company)

>Presently I'm working Nokia solutions & networks(NSN)(telecom OEM) as a quality analyst for last 2 years on an internal product of NSN.

>Also worked in the same company as a Core engineer(~2 yrs). This involves maintaining the back-end infrastructure of a local telecom operator with up-time for >99%.

Key Achievement @ work-

> Awarded for work done on introduction of Mobile Number Portability(MNP) for a local telecom operator.

> As part of the MNP project I single handedly lead a team of 60 people.

>Was involved in setting up of demo setup of a NSN product which was extensively used by Sales executive to showcase the product @ Mobile world Congress(MWC)-It is a showcase event in telecom industry.

> Numerous other appreciation from higher management.

Extra-Curricular-

>I'm part of couple of local NGO's in the field of education.

>Have been part of organizing committee of College fests

>Represented School in Tennis> Have completed a course in trekking. Been on many treks.

Post-MBA goal-

In short term- Would like to get into Telecom consulting role.

Long Term- Would like to setup an own company which would monetize the local skills and knowledge of tribal's in Western Ghats(India).

Could you please help me shortlist the schools. Ideally, Schools that I would like to target are top 15 US B-schools, ISB(India), LBS and INSEAD. At the same time,I want to be very practical while i apply to US/Canada MBA Schools. Please could you suggest a few safe and few target schools for me?Also would like to know about the possibility of receiving scholarship?

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

Dear Sameer,

I am a new joinee to this forum. Have found the views quite pragmatic and terse. Below is my profile (minus the GMAT score), i am just curious to know if with this profile and a 700+ GMAT Score, can i pursue a PGPX course in a Top B School (likes of ISB and IIM A).Your qualifications: degree, academic performance- GMAT Score:Not Available right now- Work-experience: Telecom Industry (Airtel), Assistant Manager, 1 year (total exp of 5 years+ )- BTech (65%) & MBA Finance & Marketing(7.6 CGPA)- A PGP course will not only provide the requisite brand value to the CV but also the necessary impetus in career growth.

PLs revert...

Thanks Aditi

hi guys
i am a regular guy with a Btech cse degree 2012 passout (no work ex yet).. right now i am preparing for Cat13 full time with the help of cl cp delhi..

Profile :-
Btech cse 59.38% 😞 (2012)
12th 59%
10th 73

is it better to go for any Indian B-School or is it okay to give Gre / Gmat(if only they accept no work ex guys like me for there mba program) or should i go for ms ?
please reply 😃 i am in huge dilemma.
thanks

Hi Guys,

My profile is as follows

GMAT:760
10th:86%
12th:87.1%
Graduation:PSG college of Technology (CGPA:6.98 8 backlogs)
Work Experience: 2 years in Tata Consultancy Services as an Incident Manager. I have shown leadership in different areas in my project though I am actually not an actual lead. Kindly let me know to which schools can I apply to.

Hi

I am pretty new to the MBA world. I have a B.E (Information technology) with 9+ years of experience

Professional summary
6 years in US
1 year in Canada
8 months in Shanghai, China
Currently working as a IT program manager.

I am looking forward to take up a 1 year business program - (preferably in Asia or cheaper options less than 50k USD)
which schools do you guys suggest
what should be my GMAT score (my first practice test score was 610)

My post MBA goal would be take up a leadership position in corporate sector

Appreciate your response

Hi guys,

please evaluate my profile..
1. BE in CS with 67 percentage.
2. 5 plus Years IT development exp in big MNCs( Tech Mahindra, Capgemini, Hewltt Packrd)
3. Very Good Technically and Very Interested in Technical field
4. Very Good at math, bad at vocabulary(this makes me inclined towards giving gmat rather than GRE)
5. MBA is ok but my passion is technology
6. I am taking up masters basically to earn money in us or in india.
7. for me GMAT would be easier compared to GRE.

here are my options
1.Give GMAT and do MBA , if i take up this option does it make sense coz MBA is very costly in us 70 lakhs. will i be able to earn so much back?
2.Give GMAT and study in india , to me this seems to be safer options compared to us
3.give GRE and apply for PHD(Integrated) directly.

Please suggest.
Thanks in advance

Hi

I am new to the MBA world.

My Acads ae :

Xth - 79%

XIIth - 61%

BE - 71%

I have a B.E (Mechanical) with 4+ years of experience in India with MNC's .

I have Wrk-Ex in SCM and Sales profile wherein i dealt with International Businesses and business developement .

I am looking forward to take up a 1 year business program .

which schools do you guys suggest

what should be my GMAT score (my first practice test score was 650)

My post MBA goal would be take up a leadership position in corporate sector

Appreciate your response

Hi all,

I am new to this forum.

Could you please evaluate my profile and let me know where I need to improve.

I am yet to take the test. My profile is as below:

Xth-81.66

XIIth-67.4

Btech(Mech)-9.1/10

4 Years of exp In IT industry.

Was the team lead in one of the projects.

Extra-curricular-

Took part in college fests.

Part of the speech club in the company.

Taking a certification in spanish now.

Taking a certification in banking and finance.

I am targetting colleges in India and Asia. What are my chances for ISB. What do I need to improve to get there.

Would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks