Did B Schools like IIM and other verify the Work experience

Hi I am harshal, I am preparing for CAT 2010. I have completed and have work experience of 16 month in teaching and 8 month as software engineer. I want to know, if whether IIM amd other top B schools verify the work experience. Actually Iā€¦

1 Like

Hi I am harshal, I am preparing for CAT 2010.
I have completed and have work experience of 16 month in teaching and
8 month as software engineer. I want to know, if whether IIM amd other top B schools verify the work experience.
Actually I have signed bond of 2 years with the the company i am working but to prepare for CAT I had leave that organization withing 8 month, so now I dint have reliving letter and work experience certificate. So i want know whether B schools verify the work experience of the candidates.

if I show the work experience letter and relieving letter the verify the information
with the employer.

And what about other B school they also wants to show work experience letter and
relieving letter.

People,

Any leading B-School whether it be IIMs or other top B-Schools , will have following requirements atleast for the work ex proof ... this might differ slightly from college to college but not much variation is there .

At the time of filling the form : you need to fill number of months for which you have work ex and may be domain of work ex as well in few colleges

During GD/PI some colleges verify at this stage as well.. you need to show joining letter and ( salary slips of all the months you have worked or relieving letter ) OR work experience certificate in case you have ( if you have work ex certi then you don't need joining letter seperately)

At the time of final admission you need to show joining letter and ( salary slips of all the months you have worked or relieving letter ) OR work experience certificate in case you have ( if you have work ex certi then you don't need joining letter seperately) AND if you have not produced relieving letter and/or work ex certificate then you are given a stipulated period of time by college within which you need to produce the above documents.... just salary slips won't work in case of almost all colleges .... you can show them in initial days but have to show other relevant documents as mentioned within the given period.

Hope this helps
Varun

People,

Any leading B-School whether it be IIMs or other top B-Schools , will have following requirements atleast for the work ex proof ... this might differ slightly from college to college but not much variation is there .

At the time of filling the form : you need to fill number of months for which you have work ex and may be domain of work ex as well in few colleges

During GD/PI some colleges verify at this stage as well.. you need to show joining letter and ( salary slips of all the months you have worked or relieving letter ) OR work experience certificate in case you have ( if you have work ex certi then you don't need joining letter seperately)

At the time of final admission you need to show joining letter and ( salary slips of all the months you have worked or relieving letter ) OR work experience certificate in case you have ( if you have work ex certi then you don't need joining letter seperately) AND if you have not produced relieving letter and/or work ex certificate then you are given a stipulated period of time by college within which you need to produce the above documents.... just salary slips won't work in case of almost all colleges .... you can show them in initial days but have to show other relevant documents as mentioned within the given period.

Hope this helps
Varun

and wat 2 do in case i hav workd widout salary 4 my relatives organisation jus 4 d sake f experience....

Hi thanks a lot for you answer now I am out of confused state.
One last thing After having all those document which I have whether these B- school verify the same information with the employer e.g. by calling directly company or by any other means.
once again thanks for you reply.

Last thing I want to know is after having all the above documents
whether these B school personally verify the work
experience information with the employer by contacting to the company
or by any other means.

Generally, they are not going to crosscheck with the company by calling etc. They trust the documents produced to them and they expect no one to fake them . Also, such documents either have hologram etc and that approves the genuine document . ( hologram on work ex certificate is just an example to show the authenticity thing.. might differ from company to company )

MISSION 2010 Says
wat 2 do in case i hav workd 4 my relatives organisation widout money jus 4 d sake f supporting him and gaining exprience....no salary slips....

Either get the work experience certificate from the owner of the organization or the person whom you were reporting to in the office. If you don't have joining letter/relieving letter and/or work experience certificate, i am afraid that it won't be considered as work ex. However, you can mention it in other forms and explain your experience, learnings from the job during interview if given a chance to speak on same.

Hope this helps,
Varun

Hello Varun,

Just to clear my mind more i want to ask you 2 questions :

1. What if i have my joining letter and all my salary slips but i dont have experience letter or a relieving letter?

2. Do Iim's or other Top B-schools in India have some criteria on companies whose experience they'll count? i.e is it a for a particular genre of companies? as in only listed companies or can it be any company which is operating currently?

Hello Varun,

Just to clear my mind more i want to ask you 2 questions :

1. What if i have my joining letter and all my salary slips but i dont have experience letter or a relieving letter?

2. Do Iim's or other Top B-schools in India have some criteria on companies whose experience they'll count?

1. You still need to produce a relieving letter/ work experience certificate , may be within certain stipulated time as maximum relaxation once you join the college.

2. Work experience of any company is valid . The only condition is that the job should be full time paid job and supported by work ex certificate .

Hope this helps
Varun

im doing a training in software testing on live projects on self-support basis....can this be counted as work-ex ??

hello sir,

can any training or course on self-support basis be counted as work-ex ??

an_mba Says
im doing a training in software testing on live projects on self-support basis....can this be counted as work-ex ??

Buddy,

Just training or any course on self support basis is not counted as work experience. You need to be in a full time paid job to get your work counted as valid work experience

Hope this helps
Varun

I have been working with my father for the past 14-15 months. Prior to that, I worked for 4 months in an Investment Research KPO. I do have the work-ex certificate from there. But, ours is a small scale business and my dad is a sole-properietor. I therefore do not have any designation as such. I have mentioned a total of 18 months work-ex in my application. Can it lead to any serious consequence ? Should I write a work-ex of 4 months only and let them know about the rest of my work-ex in the interview ?

bellerophon Says
I have mentioned a total of 18 months work-ex in my application. Can it lead to any serious consequence ? Should I write a work-ex of 4 months only and let them know about the rest of my work-ex in the interview ?

Buddy,

I think we have two options available : 1) As said by you that 4 months work ex to be mentioned in application and rest to be brought in knowledge of panel during interview. (2) You write 18 months of work ex and you show yourself as a proper employee of the company and since you have worked, you can always defend yourself in PI

Have i been in your shoes , i should have gone for option 1 and discussed about my being part of family business during interview šŸ˜ƒ

Hope this helps
Varun

I have work ex of 14 months in MNC. My problem is that i had signed a bond of 3 years. It is not easy to get relieving from my company. 6 months back few of my batch-mates leave company without relieving becoz HR people told them they will not give experience certificate to them before 6 months even though they were ready to pay bond money.
I have salary slips for all months, joining letter & confirmation letter after 1 year completion.
Is this is not sufficient.
Plz provide some way to solve this problem.

I have salary slips for all months, joining letter & confirmation letter after 1 year completion.
Is this is not sufficient.
Plz provide some way to solve this problem.

Buddy,

Am afraid that documents mentioned by you are not enough.. .in most of the b-schools , you need to have relieving letter/work ex certificate from company at the time of admission or you need to provide the same within some time.

I will suggest you talk to your HR once again after you get final admit in any college and work out things.. .there might be some relaxation possible according to any policy of company where employee wants to go for higher studies... just remain in friendly terms with your HR till then šŸ˜ƒ

Hope this helps :)
Varun
Buddy,

I think we have two options available : 1) As said by you that 4 months work ex to be mentioned in application and rest to be brought in knowledge of panel during interview. (2) You write 18 months of work ex and you show yourself as a proper employee of the company and since you have worked, you can always defend yourself in PI

Have i been in your shoes , i should have gone for option 1 and discussed about my being part of family business during interview šŸ˜ƒ

Hope this helps
Varun

Personally I would have chosen option 2. Many schools are looking for work experience and have some weight assigned to work ex. In such a case showing 18 months might be a little more helpful than 4 months. Since it is your father I am sure you can get a certificate and explain the same during the interview.

4 months or 18 months, the key however, is to display what you have learnt during your work.

Please somebody help me...
as i am practicing at my own dental clinic for 18 months now...
how can i show my experience as i only have purchasing slips for my clinic set-up nothing else...
will these serve the purpose???

Please somebody help me...
as i am practicing at my own dental clinic for 18 months now...
how can i show my experience as i only have purchasing slips for my clinic set-up nothing else...
will these serve the purpose???

Buddy,

I don't think that there is going to be any problem in your case.... As a dentist running your own clinic, you can always produce the papers/any other proof which says that you started your clinic on a particular date and similar/any proof which says that you are still running it ... that will show your clinic has been up for 18 months .... this shall suffice in your case šŸ˜ƒ

Puys
I need your help..
Sorry for the long post but I needed to write all..
I graduated in Mechanical Engineering in 2008. Immediately after the completing my graduation in June, I joined an organization in which I was recruited as a Graduate Engineer Trainee(GET) through campus recruitment. I worked there uptill 12 months but somehow I was not interested in the profile offered so I called it a day. Then I started looking for the jobs I was interested in and meanwhile started preparing for the CAT. But just within the 15 days after leaving the job in the month of July 2009, I met with an accident and my both ideas suffered for 3 months. I recovered when a month was left for the CAT, but I was unable to utilize it fully(purely my mistake). Thus, the result was a poor show in the CAT and even jobs were not coming up. I kept on trying for jobs and simultaneously tried for Bank P.O. Cleared written tests in SBI Associates, SBI and Bank of Baroda. I could not make it to the final selection of SBI Associates but I am hopeful for the other two. Meanwhile I got offer from one of the two companies(offering jobs in my core competencies) I was interviewed in the month of July this year. I immediately took it up. Within 20 days of joining it, I got the offer from the other one which is fairly bigger than the former. So I left the former one and am joining the latter in the next week. The former company won't issue any certificate of my working there for 25 days. The company I am about to join is offering me the position of GET. Though it is quite logical as my prior work-ex was totally in a different field, I am in a fix as to how to make it count to the B-schools as I going to appear for various MBA exams this year.
Also I don't know how to present my two years after graduation to any good B-schools in a creditable manner.