2 Years Vs 1 Year MBA Programme

This is my first post and my apologies if this topic has been discussed earlier. I tried to use the search function of this forum but could not get meaningful discussion on this topic. In general, full time MBA programme in US are 2 years whe…

This is my first post and my apologies if this topic has been discussed earlier. I tried to use the search function of this forum but could not get meaningful discussion on this topic.

In general, full time MBA programme in US are 2 years whereas in UK/Europe around 1 year.

Probably the most important rationale to go for a 1 year MBA programme is Fees/budget as well as loss of income. While, the above consideration is valid but is a short term, if you look at the broader benefit of MBA in your life, it may be worthwhile to consider a 2 years programme.

I am about to decide on a MBA programme either in US or UK.

Although course fee + loss of income is a consideration, I am unable to decide which path to take. If I want, I would be able to fund 2 years programme too but then again, the extra spending must be meaningful and justified.

Besides the cultural, business environment of US and EU, what other factors are behind your decision for a US MBA Vs UK/EU MBA?

Please share your thought so that rest can learn from you and take a better informed decision.

Thank you.

It is quite interesting that no one had this question or no one bother about this question. Am I missing something horribly?

To me it is a serious question, as serious as brand of the college where I would be investing my money, time and energy.

1 year or 2 years ?

My 2 cents:

2yr vs. 1yr. - each has its own pros cons

Given the condition you are going to a equally reputable MBA programs from any of the top

Business school for any of these formats:

1yr MBA format:

- Saves time & money

- Primarily designed for mid-managerial level professionals with 5.5yr+ of work experience

- Gives a platform to launch yourself as a General management professional

- Higher the work experience better the prospects (subject to B-school and area)

For example:

1yr MBA of Kellogg school of management, Cornell, MIT Sloan MSMS, INSEAD, Oxbridge, all have a great brand pull and gives fantastic opportunities post MBA

2yr MBA format:

- More time to network & connect on campus

- Get time to test & try out different things

- Internship, a great way to spend time in midst of the course

- Not very senior professionals are preferred as rerutiers seek young professional from this format to mould them as per requirement

- Good format to change career path post initial work experience

So, it totally depends on the background, work-exp, quality of work-exp, academics, priorities such as how much time one would like to take off from the coporate world & invesment one is ready to make?

I hope this helps

Cheers

GODSPEED

One year program is recommended if you are looking to continue in the same industry and domain and have significant experience in it.

Two year program is for career changers. Generally, the average experience of a Two year MBA class is about 4-5 years. Thus they are people who, given their age, can afford to take a two year break from their professional career.

Regarding the money factor, there are quite a few good business schools who offer generous scholarships. For e.g. Goizueta Business School at Emory University, where I am matriculating this fall with a very high scholarship.

So, money is not a factor in deciding on a 1 yr programme over 2yr . Food for thought.

@ankushpr said:
One year program is recommended if you are looking to continue in the same industry and domain and have significant experience in it. Two year program is for career changers. Generally, the average experience of a Two year MBA class is about 4-5 years. Thus they are people who, given their age, can afford to take a two year break from their professional career. Regarding the money factor, there are quite a few good business schools who offer generous scholarships. For e.g. Goizueta Business School at Emory University, where I am matriculating this fall with a very high scholarship. So, money is not a factor in deciding on a 1 yr programme over 2yr . Food for thought.

Thanks for sharing your thought. Agree with you regarding continuing in the same domain or a career changer angle. However, as you become senior, domain expertise may be good or may be bad. It is equally good and bad to be a 15 years retail veteran. In leadership role, too much specialty in chosen domain need not be necessarily good, compared to a more balanced and broader approach.

Personally, I am more inclined towards a 2 year programme as that will provide you enough time to learn and more importantly unlearn. 1 year seems to be rushing and probably "touch and go" approach.

Then again, if the average class experience is 4-5 years in 2 years programme, then that would be a real issue as the frequency will be significantly different ... and you never know, if your teachers are also tuned to that kind of frequency, then your 2 years will be full wasted.

Money is definitely a factor as all may not be lucky like you to score 770 and hit a scholarship like you.

@nobodyhasthisid said:
1yr MBA format: - Saves time & money - Primarily designed for mid-managerial level professionals with 5.5yr+ of work experience - Gives a platform to launch yourself as a General management professional - Higher the work experience better the prospects (subject to B-school and area) For example: 1yr MBA of Kellogg school of management, Cornell, MIT Sloan MSMS, INSEAD, Oxbridge, all have a great brand pull and gives fantastic opportunities post MBA
Thanks for sharing your balanced thought, appreciate that. Your sharing encouraged me to go a bit further and seek your advice.

I am currently in senior management in particular industry segment. I have the option to naturally progress into leadership role or really learn something and then express my move to the leadership role. I decided on the second option, one reason probably is, I need some break to rejuvenate!!!

Money is not the driver as I am well rewarded in my current role ... and I can afford to take a break for my learning. 1 year or 2 year, both are OK, for learning, I can afford to forget my 2 years earning if need be.

But the primary objective is, my that 1 year or 2 year should be REALLY right investment.

How I define right investment? no, not in terms of my future earning potential, I know, it would not be significantly different that what I make today.
The very first thing, my learning should be really meaningful. It should make me retrospect, learn and unlearn and should move me to the next dimension. It should be a turning point for me.
The second important thing is, job scope and options. Let me explain. I know I can go back to my current domain but as I said, I need to review my very domain itself. I may find a new niche area during my study, I may find a new love. I want to keep my option for new exploration. And what I expect is, I should have fair chance to join the new area. Getting enough opportunity of job is important.

Hence the dilemma... if increase salary was the objective, it would have been easier choice.
2yr MBA format: - More time to network & connect on campus - Get time to test & try out different things - Internship, a great way to spend time in midst of the course - Not very senior professionals are preferred as rerutiers seek young professional from this format to mould them as per requirement - Good format to change career path post initial work experience So, it totally depends on the background, work-exp, quality of work-exp, academics, priorities such as how much time one would like to take off from the coporate world & invesment one is ready to make? I hope this helps Cheers GODSPEED

As Ankur mentioned, 2 year format has more junior people in the class. If you know, class works in popular believe so the overall level of discussion in class may be around operational stuff rather than strategic stuffs. I give more importance to all those case studies and class discussions. I am worried that the quality of the discussions will be at lower frequency, at lower level ... and the worst, if the teachers are not adequately experienced, the overall direction will in a different level. I have high expectation of the renowned teachers, I respect them but my practical experience with academics/researchers restrict me to expect too much also. There is a huge disconnect between the academics and real world. Academic talk and practical solution has difference.

Lets share your experience so that we can learn from each other.

Thank you
Money is definitely a factor as all may not be lucky like you to score 770 and hit a scholarship like you.
Since you are already veering towards a 2 yr program, my comments would be redundant to you. But, anyways, I would like to share what I know.
Nearly all Emory admits from India have a scholarship, even those with a 710 GMAT score. So don't bother about the score. Have you already taken your GMAT?
I have friends who have chosen Emory over ISB even though it's turning out to be costlier.
I was in a similar dilemma as you. I was thinking of going to NUS singapore until I learned about the scholarships.
I suggest you to get in touch with an admissions consultant if you haven't done yet. They will guide you better.
All the best.
@ankushpr said: Since you are already veering towards a 2 yr program, my comments would be redundant to you. But, anyways, I would like to share what I know. Nearly all Emory admits from India have a scholarship, even those with a 710 GMAT score. So don't bother about the score. Have you already taken your GMAT? I have friends who have chosen Emory over ISB even though it's turning out to be costlier. I was in a similar dilemma as you. I was thinking of going to NUS singapore until I learned about the scholarships. I suggest you to get in touch with an admissions consultant if you haven't done yet. They will guide you better. All the best.

My apologies if any of my comment hurt you anyway.

I have not decided on 1 year or 2 years programme yet. I am evaluating both the options.

Scholarship is a nice to have thing for me, if I get it then good, if not then also alright.
I am of the view that both types of program have, by far and large, the same fundamental content. A few uncovered points are

Two Year Course:

1. Allows more time on research and dissertation
2. More time to think about which direction the career should advance
3.Time to develop ideas over a longer period of time

One Year Course

1. Crisp and Precise content
2. Candidate is always in sync with the market

There is no right or wrong length. Candidates must think carefully and take a call on whether he/she has the leisure of time and costs, that a two-year course entails or if they prefer to take plunge into a sleek one-year course and get back to the workplace rather quickly.

Thanks @[576665:EIUBS], you very crisply brought out the most important aspects.

As I said, a degree stamp or better earning is not my priority. I would love to have a meaningful learning, a review of myself so that I am ready for my second phase.

While all the points you mentioned under 2 years are very crucial for me but it can be a meaningless academic discussion if your point #2 of one year is very obvious. The reason I am concerned about that is, I get regular interns and meet with academic researcher quite frequently and the single word I would say is, they have too much to learn and unlearn. The real world is quite different from academia.

I might be wrong but I was putting too much emphasis on class discussions and case studies. The real knowledge comes out in those deliberations, those collective analysis ... otherwise the books are available everywhere or you can buy at $20!!

I am looking for something, where students are not "exam smart", they are there to LEARN for lifetime.

Anyway, thanks guys, your ideas and thought process definitely broaden our considerations. Appreciate that.

@EIUBS said: I am of the view that both types of program have, by far and large, the same fundamental content. A few uncovered points areTwo Year Course:1. Allows more time on research and dissertation2. More time to think about which direction the career should advance3.Time to develop ideas over a longer period of timeOne Year Course1. Crisp and Precise content2. Candidate is always in sync with the marketThere is no right or wrong length. Candidates must think carefully and take a call on whether he/she has the leisure of time and costs, that a two-year course entails or if they prefer to take plunge into a sleek one-year course and get back to the workplace rather quickly. >>>>
@WouldBeCrazy said: Thanks @EIUBS, you very crisply brought out the most important aspects. As I said, a degree stamp or better earning is not my priority. I would love to have a meaningful learning, a review of myself so that I am ready for my second phase. While all the points you mentioned under 2 years are very crucial for me but it can be a meaningless academic discussion if your point #2 of one year is very obvious. The reason I am concerned about that is, I get regular interns and meet with academic researcher quite frequently and the single word I would say is, they have too much to learn and unlearn. The real world is quite different from academia. I might be wrong but I was putting too much emphasis on class discussions and case studies. The real knowledge comes out in those deliberations, those collective analysis ... otherwise the books are available everywhere or you can buy at $20!! I am looking for something, where students are not "exam smart", they are there to LEARN for lifetime. Anyway, thanks guys, your ideas and thought process definitely broaden our considerations. Appreciate that.
Hi WouldBeCrazy,

If you're planning to study abroad, then in addition to the tuition fees and lost income, you would also have to factor in travel expenses, accommodation and additional living expenses, here's an relevant example from INSEAD - http://mba.insead.edu/financing/fees.cfm

You mentioned that money is a factor for you; I'm assuming that you might be from India, and if so, travelling to the US or Europe for an education is a very financially demanding endeavour. Many Asian students travel to Singapore for their MBA education instead, we've reputable US and UK MBA programs here, and the living expenses are not as high.

If you're open to that option, I can provide you with a little more information, for starters, the student accommodation here - http://www.singaporeedu.gov.sg/doc/res/stb_students.pdf.

Minimise the cost of studying abroad by researching thoroughly before embarking on your endeavour. Here's a related article that might interest you - http://www.coursesinsg.com/2012/07/cost-of-studying-mba-in-singapore.html

Let me know your thoughts, cheers!

@[584874:HermanS]

Thanks Herman, however, I do not agree with your assessment on expenses.

How many times does a MBA student travel between home country and college? How much difference is the ticket cost to Singapore and Europe? Cost of living in Singapore is not cheap. Cost of education is slightly cheaper but again, when we are talking about 50-80K kind of investment, 10K here and there may be a big percentage but in long run, is not a major consideration. I will be moving there with my entire family with kids, so 10K is definitely not my prime consideration.

I have experience of Singapore and definitely Singapore is completely out from my radar.

I agree fully on your point on researching before embarking on something, but the priority is different for you and me. Your research is on cost and my research is on quality.

For me an excellent overall curriculum, a balanced approach, a vibrant class of experienced people who can share their life story to relate is much more important. In fact my first criteria.
Job option is a distant second and cost is just a nice to have factor. Having said that, I believe in prudence in spending.

My search is still on for such a college as I am yet to finalise the 1 year Vs 2 year format.

I suppose you are asking very valid questions...Irrespective of the length of the program look for which program fits following criteria:

1. Quality

2. Class discussion

3. Pedagogy

4. Faculty reputation

5. Quality of WE of the class

6. Avg WE of the class (you should be in +/- 15% of the avg WE of the class)

7. Reputation & stature of the program

I would like to cite an incidence from life, 5yrs back i met a Lady with 10yrs+ of WE in the industry and she told me tht she's looking to go for her MBA to any of the top schools / top programs. And, by tht she meant neither Wharton nor Columbia GSB etc. But, her target program was something of sort, Sloan Fellowship (1yr) MBA program -

Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy at London Business School

And explaing the reason for the same, she mentioned all the above expecations, cited by you...One of the key reasons she mentioned tht she didn't want to graduate with low avg WE class, as, career aspirations & expectations would be significantly different

I suppose this helps

Cheers

@nobodyhasthisid said: I suppose you are asking very valid questions...Irrespective of the length of the program look for which program fits following criteria: 1. Quality 2. Class discussion 3. Pedagogy 4. Faculty reputation 5. Quality of WE of the class 6. Avg WE of the class (you should be in +/- 15% of the avg WE of the class) 7. Reputation & stature of the program I would like to cite an incidence from life, 5yrs back i met a Lady with 10yrs+ of WE in the industry and she told me tht she's looking to go for her MBA to any of the top schools / top programs. And, by tht she meant neither Wharton nor Columbia GSB etc. But, her target program was something of sort, Sloan Fellowship (1yr) MBA program - Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy at London Business School And explaing the reason for the same, she mentioned all the above expecations, cited by you...One of the key reasons she mentioned tht she didn't want to graduate with low avg WE class, as, career aspirations & expectations would be significantly different I suppose this helps Cheers
I must say that you picked up a very appropriate name.

Thank you so much for such an wonderful advice. Fully agree and highly appreciate that. Definitely I would look at your suggested programme.

Do you have few more similar suggestions? I would highly appreciate that.

for example, I would definitely like to explore some courses like Aerospace in Toulouse, Airlines in one of the UK university, Retail in Oxford. I am yet to look at US colleges, but fundamentally, I am not looking at branded finance/consulting kind of stuff. I would like to go for focused programme. As you can see, Airlines and Retail chains are quite different, what it means that, I am open to this kind of diverse fields or domains, not necessarily I need to do in my current domain.

Thank you so much ..)
@WouldBeCrazy Hi, did you managed to find a solution for 1yr vs yr? I'm not as experienced as you are (4 yrs), would really appreciate your help to take my decision here. I'm currently interested in SP Jain & Strathclyde, both offers 1 year courses. I don't even have a Managerial experience so far. I want to go for a course that would ACTUALLY push my career fast forward. I know it's a bit greedy though 😉 An advice form a senior like you will be gold dust for me...

I myself prefer a 2 years course. But the issue is, there are no decent courses more than 1 year in UK or EU.

Only LBS has a 16-21 months programme.

Probably the distant second is HEC at 16 months. Besides that only MBS and Edinburgh has longer programme. Please correct me if I missed anyone. I would love to be proven wrong so that I can explore that school too.

For you there are two options ... whether you are focusing on 'Learning' or 'Career progression'. Ideally they should be together but more often they can be achieved individually too.

If 'Career progression' is your primary objective then ANY branded school will be fine. Does not matter 1 year or 2 year or just 6 months ... you just need the brand name and the "CONFIDENCE"

If your primary objective is learning then I generally prefer a slightly slower paced programme. A pace where you are given time to digest the knowledge and absorb the nutrients ... not just swallow and vomit. A crash course can help you in better score but may not help you to learn the concept. For me, learning the fundamental, learning the concept, learning the underlying logic is very very important. Unfortunately, Europe does not have too many options for this group. If Cranfield offered a 18 months programme, I would not have to ponder over this issue ... but Cranfield offers a 12 months course, where as Edinburgh offers a programme slightly longer ... then again, spending 2 months extra in a 3 tier school may not be that worth.

Many of the 3rd tier UK schools offers a very rich programme but then again, if post study jobs are a major concern of those schools then it makes the decision making tough.

When you want to mix the two ('Learning' and 'Career progression') together, the problem starts.

So, the bottomline is, there is no perfect solution. Although there are many schools that you clearly know is not for you (irrespective of their ranks) ... but there may or may not be an ideal school. Or the choices are too few.

LBS might be best of both world but it is the toughest to crack too.

Following is my ranking of UK schools, your ranking can be quite different

1st tier : LBS, CJBS, OSBS

2nd tier : Cranfield, Warrick

3rd tier : Rest known schools

@WouldBeCrazy said:
I myself prefer a 2 years course. But the issue is, there are no decent courses more than 1 year in UK or EU.Only LBS has a 16-21 months programme.Probably the distant second is HEC at 16 months. Besides that only MBS and Edinburgh has longer programme. Please correct me if I missed anyone. I would love to be proven wrong so that I can explore that school too.For you there are two options ... whether you are focusing on 'Learning' or 'Career progression'. Ideally they should be together but more often they can be achieved individually too.If 'Career progression' is your primary objective then ANY branded school will be fine. Does not matter 1 year or 2 year or just 6 months ... you just need the brand name and the "CONFIDENCE"If your primary objective is learning then I generally prefer a slightly slower paced programme. A pace where you are given time to digest the knowledge and absorb the nutrients ... not just swallow and vomit. A crash course can help you in better score but may not help you to learn the concept. For me, learning the fundamental, learning the concept, learning the underlying logic is very very important. Unfortunately, Europe does not have too many options for this group. If Cranfield offered a 18 months programme, I would not have to ponder over this issue ... but Cranfield offers a 12 months course, where as Edinburgh offers a programme slightly longer ... then again, spending 2 months extra in a 3 tier school may not be that worth.Many of the 3rd tier UK schools offers a very rich programme but then again, if post study jobs are a major concern of those schools then it makes the decision making tough.When you want to mix the two ('Learning' and 'Career progression') together, the problem starts.So, the bottomline is, there is no perfect solution. Although there are many schools that you clearly know is not for you (irrespective of their ranks) ... but there may or may not be an ideal school. Or the choices are too few.LBS might be best of both world but it is the toughest to crack too.Following is my ranking of UK schools, your ranking can be quite different1st tier : LBS, CJBS, OSBS2nd tier : Cranfield, Warrick3rd tier : Rest known schools
INSEAD,IESE (2 years),IE Business School,Esade(Spain),IMD(Switzerland),Oxford(Said) are all Tier-I business schools in EU apart from LBS.

Both LBS and INSEAD are quite strong schools in Consulting and they are pretty open to career switchers even though they are 1 year programs.

Thanks Arun.

INSEAD is 1 year.

I mentioned tier 1 schools in UK, not EU.

LBS minimum is 16 months and an option to extend to 21 months.

IESE is 2 year but personally I am not comfortable with Spanish or Italian schools at the moment of economic uncertainties. I heard a mixed experience of post study jobs from Spanish schools.

By the way,

LBS = London Business School

CJBS = Cambridge Judge Business School

OSBS = Oxford Said Business School